Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Help (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bats! [Abe's Oddysee] (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=19014)

Sligoth 02-17-2010 11:22 PM

Bats! [Abe's Oddysee]

I have had this problem on Abe's Oddysee for years, pretty much since 1998. On Abe's Oddysee, where you have to jump over the holes avoiding the swinging spiked rocks, there are bats flying about. And I find it impossible to get past. Every time I try, the bats get me. If I try to rush through before the bats catch up, then I end up jumping into the rocks or down the holes. Due to this, as far as I can remember, I have never actually completed Oddysee. Basically I need some help on getting past these areas. No quicksave on Oddysee makes this especially frustrating.

Is there a special tip for getting past these places? If you need further details of what I'm talking about I will try to find screenshots of the area. (Try). Hope someone can help me.

BS--
Sligoth.

Oddey 02-18-2010 12:34 AM

Crouch, and roll off the edges. That usually avoids bats, balls and falls. Hope this helps you. :D

Wil 02-18-2010 03:27 AM

Crouching normally avoids the bats wherever you are on those screens. Watch carefully before you start crossing the screen to check there are no exceptions.

My tactic is to crouch at the edge of each pit, and stand up immediately after the bat flies over my head. This gives me the most opportunity to time a jump that avoids the pendulum balls.

MeechMunchie 02-18-2010 03:49 AM

I always just rolled across the screen as fast as I could. The bats go straight over your head, and I always found it quite hard to be hit by the boulders.

Sligoth 02-18-2010 04:50 AM

Thanks, the tips worked like a charm. For the first time, I made it past the area! Thanks again. :D

MeechMunchie 02-18-2010 04:53 AM

No problem. We're always happy to help out anyone polite.

RayOni 02-18-2010 04:56 AM

:

()
On Abe's Oddysee, where you have to jump over the holes avoiding the swinging spiked rocks, there are bats flying about.

BS--
Sligoth.

I remember this scene.
I have passed for 2 hours!!
I hate bats in AO!!:D

Jordan 02-18-2010 07:01 AM

That part of Paramonia is a fucking bitch. Took me ages.

Paul 02-18-2010 08:17 AM

I though it was easy, however the 3 UXB bombs after that is another story..

Sligoth 02-18-2010 08:26 AM

Well thankfully I now managed to get past Paramonia, I believe, for the first time since I bought the game in 1998. I'm satisfied with my days work. :D

Now I have the challenge of Scrabania ahead of me. :)

Crashpunk 02-18-2010 09:58 AM

Wow you've were stuck on the same path for 12 years?!

Ouch :S

Namida 02-18-2010 11:17 PM

:

()
I though it was easy, however the 3 UXB bombs after that is another story..

You do realise you only need to deactivate one, right?
You then run straight off the edge to avoid the slog (you'll hang).

Sekto Springs 02-19-2010 03:59 AM

I've been guiding my buddy through AO, and he finds the puzzles absolutely maddening (bats especially). Of course, I'm telling him where all the secrets are on his first run, so it's unfathomably harder than it normally would be. :p

We spent a good hour getting that secret in the Paramonian temple right. The one where you have to lead the Mudokons to the portal while the Paramites are eating. That part wasn't so hard, but he could never get past the rocks that start to fall after the portal closes.

Sligoth 02-19-2010 04:06 AM

:

()
I've been guiding my buddy through AO, and he finds the puzzles absolutely maddening (bats especially). Of course, I'm telling him where all the secrets are on his first run, so it's unfathomably harder than it normally would be. :p

We spent a good hour getting that secret in the Paramonian temple right. The one where you have to lead the Mudokons to the portal while the Paramites are eating. That part wasn't so hard, but he could never get past the rocks that start to fall after the portal closes.

That puzzle drove me mental for ages. Eventually, I shamefully gave up and the Mudokons never got rescued. :fuzsad:

Paul 02-19-2010 09:27 AM

:

()
You do realise you only need to deactivate one, right?
You then run straight off the edge to avoid the slog (you'll hang).

Im pretty sure you have to do all 3 to save some mud?

Wil 02-19-2010 09:39 AM

Nope, there are no Mudokons between the Stockyards and RuptureFarms that aren't in Secret Areas. I have never deactivated all three of those bombs, unless I did it for kicks some time.

Mojo 02-19-2010 11:44 AM

... you get your kicks from deactivating virtual bombs?

Wil 02-19-2010 12:55 PM

You're a dick, Mojo.

Paul 02-20-2010 12:18 AM

:

()
Nope, there are no Mudokons between the Stockyards and RuptureFarms that aren't in Secret Areas. I have never deactivated all three of those bombs, unless I did it for kicks some time.

Its been a while since I played all the way through but for some reason I remember having to deactivate all of them, must just be my bad memory then.

Wil 02-20-2010 01:42 AM

There is a sequence of three UXBs right near the end that you need to deactivate to rescue a Mudokon. You might be thinking of this.

Nate 02-20-2010 04:44 AM

I think that I always used to deactivate them, just because it never occurred to me not to. Besides, I always found that group of bombs was quite simple to deactivate.

What does UXB stand for?

Sligoth 02-20-2010 05:09 AM

:

()
I think that I always used to deactivate them, just because it never occurred to me not to. Besides, I always found that group of bombs was quite simple to deactivate.

What does UXB stand for?

Unexploded Bomb, I think.

Grieva 02-20-2010 05:44 AM

:

()
Unexploded Bomb, I think.

I think so too, but it seems a bit redundant?
Surely all bombs are unexploded, once they are exploded they cease being bombs

Sligoth 02-20-2010 05:53 AM

:

()
I think so too, but it seems a bit redundant?
Surely all bombs are unexploded, once they are exploded they cease being bombs

Yea, that's a good point.

Wil 02-20-2010 06:00 AM

They're called UXBs in the manual, distinguishing them from landmines, order bombs and floating bombs.

MeechMunchie 02-20-2010 08:16 AM

If you look at UXB from the side It looks a bit like a Slig face...

But I think the term unexploded bomb fits, since it is used when referring to a bomb which can be removed without it exploding.

Phylum 02-20-2010 03:49 PM

:

()

What does UXB stand for?

Shouldn't this be in Oddworld Q&A?

UXB is probably an acronym for something. Something we'll hopefully find out in a later game/movie/anything

Wil 02-21-2010 01:23 AM

And the award for not paying attention goes to...

Phylum 02-21-2010 02:29 AM

I was trying to imply that there's a possibility it stands for something we won't know until later games. I did express that poorly, though.

MA 02-21-2010 07:51 AM

UXB stands for Underneath a Xenophobe Buttocks, so there.

and i got that off Lorne's official You Tube channel.
why are we even discussing this? i vote we bring back the weekly sacrifices.